Hello! Back again! We've had a day today. We traveled several hours across three states to be seen by an oral surgeon today to have teeth extracted. We ended up deciding to reschedule the removal due to the train being late, and missing our appointment, problems with our insurance and questions about whether or not my dad could be sedated for the removal. I am quite concerned. I don't know if we're doing the right thing. He has broken teeth and tooth roots that the oral surgeon wants to remove. They said hyperbaric chamber treatments don't work, and didn't really give us any sort of idea about what to expect with regards to ORN. I asked and they said its something to think about, and that having diabetes slightly increases the risk. The teeth aren't bothering him right now, but its taken over a year to get in to see these people and I would hate to think about what we would do if dad had a tooth that was hurting. Dad's anxiety went through the roof when they told him he would have to do it under local anesthesia and not general, unless we rescheduled for the extraction to take place in the OR. He doesn't want to feel or see them removing his teeth. I am really concerned for him.

What are the things we should be asking? How do we know if this is a risk we want to take? He's had Stage IV cancer twice, chemo, and 30 rads about 4 years ago now and is quite anxious to have anyone in his mouth.

Last edited by Vicky1; 08-26-2022 07:16 PM.

Dad was diagnosed 2/28/18 w Stage 4, N0 Verrucous carcinoma (VC) an uncommon variant of SSC
Mandibulectomy and free-flap reconstruction 5/30/18
Diagnosis changed to SSC.
Began treatment of 30 rads and 5 Cisplatin Cycles on 7/18/18
Decided not to do any more Cisplatin after the first one.
Finished treatment on 8/31/18.
3.19 Abscess & Recurrence wide mouth resection
4.16.19 Scapular Flap Reconstruction surgery
9.6.19 Clear CT!
8.6.20 Clear CT!