Hello Sarabear,

So sorry you are going through this but you seem to be on top of it. I had a partial glossectomy (took the right half of my tongue) but was stage 4. They also took all my lymph nodes on that side of my neck. I had a graft to repair the tongue, trach tube, feeding tube and radiation for 30 days. So, some of below is familiar to me but much of what you are going through is new to me. It's a long recovery and I learned to judge my improvement in weeks and months but here I am a few years later living a full life. I still have some issues but I working full time, speech is good (small lisp), eating most foods (no spicy, no alcohol) and playing just as hard as before.

Like you, I was never a smoker and only a social drinker. I was diagnosed at 52 years old. But, I do know a woman in my small support group who was in her mid 30's. I suspect mine is HPV related but never really pushed to find out as I don't think it would change anything for me at this point.

I am sure others will chime in on the other items you asked about. Glad you reached out here. Lots of helpful people and support. Hang in there.

Best
Nels

OC thriver, Tongue Stage IV, diag 3/12/20, surg 4/1/20, RT compltd 7/8/20