Hi Ali E

First, congratulations on almost completing this treatment. It's a big step. I recall ringing that bell in the lobby loud and proud on my last day of treatment (30 days and 60 Gy units to mouth and neck) about 18 months ago. For me (and what I have learned for most people) The two weeks following treatment tend to continue to get worse/bottom out. Then, you start to see improvement slowly.

Recovery from radiation seems to be a long slow process. And, I have heard varying stories. It seems to affect people in many different ways. I was able to keep active (jog, hike, surf, or yoga depending on the day) throughout treatment. The mouth sores and neck burns were much better within about 1-2 months after treatment.

Flavors were also better within a couple months. But, I am 18 months out and still recovering flavors. For example, it took a couple months before I could eat a slice of mild pizza but now I can eat just about any plain/mild pizza. It took a couple months before high citrus fruit started to taste semi-normal again now I can eat any fruit. Alcohol still tastes terrible but I don't miss it much. I can now process carbonated drinks like a soda but slowly and again, I don't drink them much anyway. I still can't do spicier stuff like spicy Mexican or India. I can do the really mild Mexican and Indian foods again now. Some people have told me they noticed improvement as far out as 3 years.

I had to learn to judge my recovery from radiation in weeks/months. Surgery was more like daily improvement. I nicknamed it the slow burn and slow recovery. But, recovery, all the same.

Hope this helps and happy to answer any other questions.

Stay safe and keep the faith.

Nels

OC thriver, Tongue Stage IV, diag 3/12/20, surg 4/1/20, RT compltd 7/8/20