Hi, I am 3 weeks post surgery for a tumor in the right side of my tongue. The tumor was 2 cm. After removal the margins were clear of cancer. They removed 20 lymph nodes from my neck on the same side and found one 2mm tumor in one of the lymph nodes but the others were clear. Everything else was clear. The doctor is recommending 6 weeks of radiation on the mouth and both sides of the neck. I have already had one salivary gland removed (negative for cancer), and I am worried that the long-term side effects of radiation will have a significant impact on my quality of life. I am particularly concerned about the loss of taste and long-term dry mouth. I also read about damage to the carotid artery and other worrying side effects. Is it all too much?

I guess I am looking for advice from the community. I know every case is different and it's impossible to know what would have happened if you hadn't chosen radiation, but how does your decision to go through with radiation sit with you now? Do you regret doing it? Or are the side effects manageable and it's worth the extra insurance it buys you that the cancer will not return?

I am grateful for any stories you can share.

I am 48 yrs old, healthy in every other way, and I have 2 kids (12 & 14). I have a lot of life ahead of me aside from this diagnosis.

Thank you so much

Tongue cancer
Surgery 1/1/2022
Spread to 1 lymph node
Radiation starting soon