I agree with the first answer. Extractions post radiation can be problematic. This is a function of the number of gy's of radiation the bone surrounding the tooth received. With very mappable IMRT radiation used today, each individual and each area in an individual's oral environment is unique and mapped for radiation exposure in varying levels of intensity, duration, and spread of the beam. As stated in the answer above, the mandible is more of a problem area than the maxilla is also correct.

I would want to work with an oral surgeon that has some experience with radiated patients. It would be nice for him to communicate with the radiologist that handled your treatment to get some idea of the level of exposure around the tooth in question. Your radiation map is a permanent part of your medical records and this information can be known.

The whole idea of hyperbaric oxygen treatments before and after extraction has a lot of grey areas in it, and the science isn't in total agreement on the benefits. I had 02 treatments before and after an extraction, and osteoradionecrosis was still a problem that has caused years of more bone issues and damaging surgery to try and deal with it. It's very expensive (about 1400 dollars a session times 30) and not always proven to work. I also had an extraction in the maxilla prior to all this and there were no issues with healing and no 02 treatments. So very much a function of where the tooth in question was in the radiated field, and the level of radiation the bone was subjected to.

Last edited by Brian Hill; 12-29-2021 11:42 AM.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.