Nancy,

On this forum we try as best as we can to give support patients irrespective of the seriousness of their condition. It sure sounds like you are having a hard time with mouth pain and teeth problems. Some people on this forum use a salt and baking soda mixture as a rinse to help with their sores. I have not used it so I am not sure what the proportions are. However, if you search for “salt and baking soda” I bet you’ll be able to find it. Or maybe someone who has used the rinse will jump in and tell us about it.

As for your mouth opening becoming smaller as a result of radiation, that does happen. It happened to my husband. Some people use Therabite for stretching the muscles, others use a stack of tongue depressors (and add more to it as the muscles slowly relax). However, it’s been a while since you finished radiation, so I am not sure if these will be helpful. Your dentist should be able to advise you on it. If you still have the mouth exercises the hospital gave you before the radiation started, maybe you could start with those. Is there a dental department at the hospital where you got treated that you can access? Those are dentists who deal with oral cancer patients day in day out. Can you check with the hospital to find out?

Your dentist should be able to call your oncologist and ask them if you can have the extraction. A consultation on the phone will clear it up your status for you.

There are loads of information on the forum from patients, I would suggest you look around using the search function. You may well find information including recipes that will be helpful to you.

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.