I went thru surgery during C19 protocols last April. Absolutely nobody allowed in with me the entire time. We managed with texting, emailing, and when i was up for it, a phone call or facetime. I also had the nurses tape a few short videos once i was up for it.

At first, I was pretty nervous about not having a loved one with me. But, honestly, looking back, i think it helped me recover sooner as i was forced to advocate for myself. I had to take notes and write everything down. It wasn't easy, but I recovered quickly and was able to go home about a week early. And, I knew exactly how to take care of myself.

Sidenote, those videos and pictures are precious to me now. It's powerful to see how far I have come with my speech, everything. Also, take journals with you. Write everything down. Feelings, doctor's feedback, meds, questions, etc. I would show the doctor my "20 questions" and make sure he answered them all every morning. I sometimes reread all those notes. Therapy for me then and now.

Something like a boogie board would be helpful. It was hard to speak, but a cheap electronic writing pad was very helpful for communication with the nurses.

OC thriver, Tongue Stage IV, diag 3/12/20, surg 4/1/20, RT compltd 7/8/20