Hi!

I have had 9 surgeries over the past 11 years for SCC of the floor if my mouth and lateral tongue. Until last year these were all for stage 1 tumors or severe dysplasia. Initially I had a burning sensation in my tongue as the nerve healed. It took at least six months to calm down. After subsequent surgeries I've lost most of the feeling in the tip of my tongue. I also periodically experience pain or discomfort in the floor of my mouth from scar tissue tightening. Doing stretching exercises where I pull my tongue to stretch the floor or massage with a finger to stretch the floor alleviates this.

I found that part of the trigger for my cancer was silent reflux. I was having reflux without the heartburn that typically accompanied it. I have gone on a low acid diet which has been tremendously helpful.

I hope your recovery continues to go well and that you are able to beat it with this round.

All the best!

Catherine, SCC floor of mouth DX 2010,unclear margins, PET scan clear, no chemo or rad,biopsy in 9/2010, 2nd excision 10/2010 didn't get all carcinoma in situ; partial gloss & excis. right floor 2/2/2011 margins clear. Part.gloss-10/5/2011 sev dys clean marg. HPV neg. Don't smoke or drink. SCC floor of mouth left side 4/2016. Dysp excis. rt palate 7/2017 Part gloss sev dys lat marg 2/2019 Part gloss free flap rt neck disc 5/2020 Part gloss bilat neck disc 7/2020 33 rad 3 cis.