Hello everyone, my name is Mike. I am 35 years old and live in southeastern Michigan. I was diagnosed with SCC of the tongue (moderately differentiated) on Monday 6/29/2020. I know that this isn’t common for someone my age to be diagnosed with this, as the oral surgeon that did my biopsy told me that I am the youngest person that he had to tell that they have SCC, but it is what it is.

I have a surgery date of July 14th, I still need to do my CT and PET scans, those are coming up this week. The surgeon has given me the details of what they have planned to do, remove 20-25% of my tongue, replace it with my forearm muscle and artery (crazy that they can do this), and removing my right lymph nodes (possibly my left side if the right side doesn’t look good). They didn’t mention chemo and/or radiation, I am guessing that this is determined after surgery? I didn’t go and get a second opinion as I felt comfortable with the surgeon — he heads the division for head and neck cancer surgery at the hospital I am going to and has authored books on how to do the surgery.

I am as positive as I can be dealing with this, and I’m looking forward to getting into surgery and starting the road to recovery.

If anyone has any advice for recovery I would greatly appreciate that. Maybe some item that made life easier that I should go and get beforehand.

For others that have had their forearm muscle and artery removed has it hindered the use of your arm?

Thanks and stay positive!
Mike O.