Hi all: I’m trying to distinguish the pain of mucositis from the pain of thrush. I have mucositis on my tongue and probably on the roof of my mouth and back of throat. The roof of my mouth is also white colored - in patches -which makes me wonder where there is thrush there too, although the white area lacks the classic cottage cheese look of thrush. When i swallow the tongue rubs against the roof of my mouth, causing pain - the sensation is like sandpaper rubbing against the skin. The pain feels very different from the mucositis on my tongue, which makes me wonder about thrush, but the different sensation may just be because the sores are in a different location and are being rubbed in a way the tongue sores are not.

Question for those who have had bouts of thrush: how painful was your thrush? Was it very painful? Or just a dull soreness? Was the pain constant or was it only present when the area was touched? If thrush pain is mild, then I can maybe rule it out. I’m seeing the doc Monday. Sorry if this is a stupid question but I’m having pain every time I swallow and am getting a little desperate.

Stage 3 cancer of right side of tongue
Tumor: t2.
Lymph nose spread
Partial glossectomy and neck dissection (2/12/20)
Never smoker
Completed six weeks of radiation on 5/6/20