Have you been given the magic mouthwash? It will numb your mouth enough so you can eat. The painkillers, I believe, help to mitigate the throat pain, the mouth pain etc during radiation. If you are thinking about using marijuana, you really, really should check with your doctors. When my husband was getting ready for radiation, we were warned not to use Chinese medicine, large doses of pomegranate juice, etc because they will interfere with the free radicals during radiation. I would be careful and check with the doctors about anything that is not part of the prescribed meds.

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.