I am about two weeks post-op for removal of a SCC tumor from my right tonsil. It was stage 2, borderline stage 3 and was removed with clear, but thin margins. A neck dissection was also performed with just two lymph nodes showing microscopic traces of cancer. Recovery has been OK. I opted for surgery over radiation due to the possible long term effects of radiation and on the ENT's confidence that he could get all of the tumor, negating the need for further treatment.
As mentioned, the tumor was a little bigger than expected, but removed with clear, but small margins. The lymph nodes (2) showed microscopic traces of cancer. Due to the unexpected size of the tumor, the ENT is now recommending radiation, which is what I was hoping to avoid. He mentioned 5 days / week for 6 weeks. Keep in mind that quality of life takes precedence over longevity for me. Here are my questions/concerns:

1. If the tumor is gone, and the margins were good, just what the heck are they shooting radiation at?
2. I read that 6 weeks of radiation is typical to shrink tumors (no surgery)....if my tumor is removed and margins were good, why 6 weeks?
3. Is there some kind of test to determine if cancer still remains in some tissues?
4. If I elect to forego radiation, what are the chances cancer will return?
5. If it does return, would surgery be an option again?
6. If I can get a reduced radiation schedule are the side effects as bad as a full radiation treatment?
7. Any scenarios I may have missed?

Thanks in advance!