Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Cancer sucks. Believe it or not, surgery is the easy part of treatment. At least it was in my case. Radiation treatment is starting to do a number on my mouth with sores and what not.

Look up where the closest Comprehensive Cancer Center (CCC) is to you. Then you'll have to decide if it is feasible for you. These locations should have all the resources you'll need in one place, such as: Surgeons, Dietitians, Radiation Oncologists, Chemo Oncologists, Speech Therapists, etc.

I'm getting everything done at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. My ENT recommended them because they specialize in head and neck cancers. I am humbled and amazed by the number of people aiding me in this fight here.

As for taking steps to avoid a reoccurrence you'll want to avoid risk factors, like smoking & drinking alcohol. After going through surgery & treatment saying no to those will be essential.

Last edited by DavidUofMsavedMe; 02-14-2020 04:42 AM. Reason: Additional info added

The number of people involved in my care (@ a CCC) is humbling. Doctors, nurses, therapists, support staff, & of course, family. With everyone fighting for me to beat cancer the least I can do is fight back and win!