Overall the 5 year mortality rate for OC is around 50%. This figure has remained fairly steady for the12+ years Ive been a part of OCF. When looking at the numbers/commonly shared stats... one person dying every hour of every day from OC can be very frightening! You can read much more about this sort of thing on the main OCF site in the Understanding section.

Im one of the few who doesnt pay much attention to mortality stats. To me they're a counter-productive Something thats stuck with me for over 10 years is a saying a close friend said. He was a very wise member who passed away several years ago. He would tell members his opinion of mortality stats.... "You will either make it or you wont." Im an example of that saying! When I was given my 3rd OC diagnosis, the odds of my survival were stacked against me being in the teens. I almost refused treatment due to thinking I wouldnt survive anyway. Fortunately, I was able to overcome my 3rd round of OC surprising everyone, especially my doctors.

If you can focus on what is within your control, the entire ordeal will be easier to get thru. Mortality stats are just numbers! They really dont mean too much, they're not anything you have control over. But... you do have control over your ability to follow doctors orders, take in at least your daily minimums of calories and water, keep your pain under control. Those 3 things are what will make the difference in how easily you get thru everything your future holds. No, its NOT easy but it is doable! Especially when you have OCF in your corner to help you with info and support. We've been there and fully understand how frightening it is to face an unknown enemy and whats necessary to eliminate it. Our outlook is different than your medical team. We have endured the ups and downs of battling OC and we share our tips with those just starting out.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma