My name is Les H. I was diagnosed with floor of mouth cancer about 3 month's ago. I have been thru surgery in Brisbane, although I reside a distance from there in a rural area. The operation involved removal of 2/3 tongue and floor of mouth and scrapping 1/3 jaw bone. I have been home now a couple of days and recovering for the next step, 6 weeks radiation.

My concern is the after effects of radiation. I am having difficulty eating at this time and can only swallow things like scrambled egg and mashed potato., my jaw and back of throat are still half numb. I read radiation can make it worse even to the extent that you may not be able to eat at all and have to have a ring (feeding tube) installed to inject liquid food. They seem to be in a hurry with this radiation and want me to get started next week, I don't know why it would hurt to leave it until things heal up a bit more.

After the operation they said we believe we got all the cancer out , then a couple days later they said we have look at some results and suggested 6 weeks radiation. They now tell me they can't see any cancer it would be to small and the radiation is a sort of guarantee for it not to return. What worries me is if radiation makes things any worse I may end up with permanent swallowing problems worse than I now have. I know of one poor fellow who has this for all time and has a ring (feeding tube) in his stomach, he also will never speak again. I would appreciate any contribution to this conversation.
Thank you,
Les