My husband and I traveled 2 1/2 hrs. for a second opinion at Dana Farber after biopsy results and treatment plan were proposed by local medical oncologist.

Consult was very well organized. In one appointment he was examined by a medical oncologist, surgical oncologist and radiation oncologist. I found it particularly reassuring that their own pathologists recheck the biopsy results ahead of the appointment (a specimen slide is forwarded from the original lab.) Our local oncology facility took care of organizing and sending all records and lab slides. New patient coordinator at Dana-Farber was most helpful.

The MDs discuss the case, present their recommendations, and then you have time for questions. In our case, the recommendation was that treatment could proceed at our local facility. If this was presented to us as questionable, we would have obtained treatment at Dana-Farber.

My main answer to your questions is to first set up a second opinion at a CCC. Then you can make a decision on how to proceed with more confidence.

CG to husband, dx @ age 65, nonsmoker/social drinker. Dx 5/08 SCC Stage IV, BOT T1N2aM0. 33 IMRT - completed 9/12/08. Induction Chemo (Cisplatin, Taxotere & 5FU), plus concurrent Cisplatin.
1/09 PEG removed; 5/09 neg PET/CT; 5/10 PET/CT NED
Dental extraction & HBOT 2013; ORN 2014; Debridement/Tissue Transfer & HBOT 2016