My dad had a maniblectomy and fibular free flap reconstruction last year. He had a cancer surgeon remove his tumor and lymph nodes and a plastic surgeon reconstruct his face. It was a long surgery. I was suprised at how great he looked afterwards. All I could think was that he was going to look like the people in the antismoking ads on tv. I think other than his missing teeth and a little droop in his lower lip, it was hardly noticable after the swelling went away, which took a while. Even the scar ended up being in a crease in his neck. He thought otherwise, of course, because hes had 64 years to study his face, but no one in our lives has ever mentioned that he looks any different. He just had another reconstruction, this time in the front, and using his scapula and he still looks great!

I would definitely recommend going somewhere that people are used to head and neck cancers. Theyre going to be best equipped to make sure they get all the cancer, spare what can be spared for function and cosmetics, know what to look for while you recover and be prepared for the special care you'll need right afterwards.

Dad was diagnosed 2/28/18 w Stage 4, N0 Verrucous carcinoma (VC) an uncommon variant of SSC
Mandibulectomy and free-flap reconstruction 5/30/18
Diagnosis changed to SSC.
Began treatment of 30 rads and 5 Cisplatin Cycles on 7/18/18
Decided not to do any more Cisplatin after the first one.
Finished treatment on 8/31/18.
3.19 Abscess & Recurrence wide mouth resection
4.16.19 Scapular Flap Reconstruction surgery
9.6.19 Clear CT!
8.6.20 Clear CT!