I’m sorry your mom is feeling down. It’s truly no fun to be going through radiation and the patient is well aware of the “decline”(temporary) that their body goes into when they compare Day 1 to Day 10. For sure, she will need pain meds and if she continues to feel down and sad, let the doctors know so they can prescribe some anti-anxiety meds. This is also about the time that fatigue sets in. At this point in his treatment, my husband would only get up to go for treatment and, as soon as we got home, he would go and lie down and not do anything, even though I had put all his favorite shows on the iPad for him to watch. The lack of strength makes their days seem to be filled with treatment, treatment and more treatment. It is very tough. Is she feeding well? If her intake is sufficient, it will be easier for her to get through this period. So, do monitor it. It may help to tell her to take one day at a time and not to fret about the next day or next week. She just has to focus on one day at a time. It will be helpful if your hospital has pastoral services. Your mother may benefit from getting some support from them.

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.