My husband’s esophagus was closed by scarring after radiation. Eventually, an interventional radiologist was able to re-open the esophagus by using a new prodcedure. So, John was swallowing, albeit, soft foods. However, three months after that, he got pneumonia. His oncologist ordered another wallowing test which determined that he was suffering from silent aspiration.

How long was it between your swallowing test and the manetry test? Could the swallowing difficulties have worsened in between the two tests? Many oral cancer patients lose their ability to swallow for one reason or another after radiation — I have run into a few while John was in treatment. So, it’s not unheard of. It can also be the esophageal muscles have become atrophied during the treatment period, that’s why patients are always advised to keep on doing their swallowing exercises even though they are not able to swallow much during treatment. So, I have no idea why your doctors say they have never heard of swallowing difficulties being tied to radiation.

At this point, if I were you, I would seek a second opinion. It is important to pay total attention when you are eating to ensure the food goes down properly. Are you wheezing and coughing because you have aspirated? John’s oncologist was able to determine he was suffering from aspiration by having his phlegm cultured because bacteria that’s normally not found in the gut showed up. Silent aspiration is when you have aspirated but you do not show a reaction at all. You don’t get the feeling that food has gone in the wrong way and you need to cough it back up. Go to your PCP and ask for a referral to another GI or a speech and language pathologist who specializes in swallowing problems.

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.