My father, aged 59 years was diagnosed with Spindle Cell (Squamous Cell) Carcinoma on his right retromolar trigone on February, 2018. It was staged at T4N1M0.
He underwent 35 sessions of Radiation (Rapid ARC), and 6 simultaneous chemo sessions weekly with Cisplatin 55mg.
After 2 months (June, 2018), regressed residual tumour was found and was thus operated on 22nd June, 2018. The discharge summary states:
Preliminary tracheostomy with wide local excision with right posterior segmental mandibulectomy with right upper alveolectomy with right ITF clearance with right modified radical neck dissection II and reconstruction with right anterolateral fasciocutaneous free flap.
He had to stay in the hospital for 3.5 weeks, during which the external swelling due to the plastic surgery had reduced a lot.
But within a week after coming back home, the areas in which the swelling had reduced started swelling up again.
After 3 days, we emailed the doctor (he is in a different city), and he suspected infection, thus suggested Tab. Augmentin 625mg.
He was taking it, and had daily sessions of mild fever. The swelling didn't increase, but started reducing very gradually.
But the main issue was right after starting the medication, the next day onwards he felt that the flap at the back of his tongue had pushed itself up a little. It also kept moving whenever he was trying to swallow. His speech became unclear, and he is almost unable to hear from his left ear (the operation was on the right side).
The doctor said it was improving, and suggested to continue the antibiotic.
He took the antibiotic for 14 days. It's the 18th day after starting the antibiotic.
The swelling has reduced in some areas, and in some other areas it is still consistent. But the major problem is with the flap which seems to be swelling up only at the back of the tongue. The rest of the tongue on his cheek is intact. Some parts of the flap is falling off when he is washing his mouth. He cannot close his mouth entirely either.
I don't know the medical terminologies, so I am unable to explain the exact positioning of the flap.
We are going to visit the doctor in 2 days. But before that, I just want to know if this is something that anyone has faced.
Is this a sign of recurrence, or some complication due to infection?
He is losing his confidence, and making me all the more anxious.