Welcome to The Oral Cancer Foundations (OCF) online forum. Our site is made up of oral cancer (OC) patients and caregivers. We do not have medical backgrounds, years of schooling or patient experience. Answering specific medical questions (especially about non-oral cancer issues) can be more than we are able to help you with but we can try to point you in the right direction. I have a link from our main OCF site where it goes into detail about other non-cancerous issues like dysplasia and leukoplakia. These types of sores usually do not turn into cancer but they will usually reappear when removed. Im sorry, I do not know what PVL is???

There are oral HPV tests but they do not provide actionable info and are not recommended. From what I know these tests are a waste of time and $$$. They are histopathology tests that look at individual cells and their dna through pcr testing from a biopsy sample. That is very different from a screening kind of test.

I would suggest asking your doctor your questions. I also suggest obtaining a second opinion from another treatment facility.

Main OCF Site, premalignant lesions

Hopefully what you have will remain non cancerous. Best wishes!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma