Im very sorry to read about your husbands problems with infections years after having his mandibulectomy. Thats a very complicated surgery with so many teeny tiny blood vessels to connect. You are doing the right thing by getting at least a second opinion. When discussing the surgery with your husbands surgeon, what did the doc say was going to replace the titanium plate? Most mandibulectomies have the surgeon taking a small piece of leg bone to use in place of the piece of jaw bone thats being removed. Theres also a few patients who have had cadaver bones used to replace their jaw bone.

I suggest calling your husbands insurance company and asking for experienced mandibulectomy surgeons. Over the years Ive seen this type of surgery successfully preformed at all the major CCCs like MDAnderson, Moffitt, Sloan Kettering, Fox Chase, etc. I would advise you to also check into the CCCs before any smaller facility that may not have as much experience with mandibulectomies. Im sorry but I dont have any specific physicians names that I can think of off the top of my head. Maybe you would have some luck by checking out a physician referral site?

Best wishes with everything!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy