I have not posted in awhile as I have been going through so many heath issues lately. Had yet another kidney stone surgery to both kidneys on Feb 16th. This is the 6th stone surgery in 13 months. Adding to the woes I have severe osteoporosis and have had 7 spine compression fractures in the past. It all hit me at once the last week of March.

I went to the doctor office on March 30th getting in via wheelchair pushed by my husband. From there I was sent to the hospital by ambulance. I was diagnosed with a very severe kidney infection, pneumonia, and a new back fracture. Trust me it is "send you to the floor" pain trying to cough due to the pneumonia with a back fracture. I could not even breathe deep, talk loud or spit. I stayed there for five days with a full IV pole as my shadow.

I use my gtube for total nutrition but it was a nightmare getting the nutrition and hydration I needed. The hospital would not support my Real Food Blend packages and cans of 2Cal mixed together brought from home. They would not let me keep it in their refrigerator or even let me warm it in their microwave. After being in the ER bed for 30 hours waiting for an open room they sent in a registered dietitian to see what I needed. What a joke that was as she was clueless.

I told her I needed to keep the formula cold then heat it before use. She stated she would check with her supervisor as to what to do and get back to me. I never saw her again ! My husband mixed my formula at home, brought it to the hospital in five 10 ounce baby bottles each day and set me up with a plastic basin filled with ice to keep it cold. He also brought me a baby bottle warmer to heat it up. Which had to be ok'ed to use by the maintenance department by the way. Don't laugh, it worked ! So much for concern over the patients nutrition. No one ever even asked anymore about what I was eating or how I was doing it. They would bring me more ice when I asked for it thank goodness. I had to take matters in my own hands. I am down to 82 pounds and just can not afford to go without eating. Ok that problem dealt with and handled. But wanted to let those tube fed people here to be aware if you are hospitalized while using a feeding tube to sometimes expect problems. I understand some hospitals are great with their support others not at all.

On top of all this I am literally about go crazy with trismus. My throat and tongue gets so dry I can not even move my tongue to swallow a sip of water. It feels as though my esophagus is going to tear several times a day.

I have been taking oxycodine 1 and 1/2 teaspoons every 6 hours through my gtube for almost two years. I have never once upped or abused it and do fairly well on that dose. My family practice doctor asked me to set up an appointment at a pain clinic as she is moving out of state in May and I need to have someone else monitor this medication. So, on April 18th I went in for the appt. That was the worst experience I have ever had in my life. The doctor there has the attitude every one is a drug seeker and scum. I had copies of two years of medical records including the cancer care, surgeries, x-rays and CT scans. I have never dealt with a more rude individual. She said I was taking to much and she would not "tolerate" it. Of course I left there crying my eyes out and did feel like scum.

My hubby went back to the office alone the next morning and confronted her regarding her attitude. I told him they might throw him in jail but he said he thought we would have enough money to bail him out. Thank goodness he went instead of me as he is nice and quiet and handles things so well.

So was extremely nice "butter would not melt in her mouth" Saying she made a mistake as to the dose I was taking since it was liquid (put through the gtube) and not pills. She miscalculated, oops, sorry. Anyway she apologized and said she would like for me to try using Butran patches for the pain as well as a smaller dose of oxycodine if needed. I plan to try the first patch on Monday. Does anyone here have experience with the patches ? I am so afraid to try some new wicked drug.

Last edited by Jo in NC; 04-20-2017 07:12 AM. Reason: Spelling, as usual

Sept 2002 Rt breast cancer no chemo or radiation.
March 2015 Rt tonsil cancer - walnut size lump rt side neck.
March 2015 Scan, biopsy confirm
March 2015 Port, G tube placed, 10 teeth removed.
July 2015 completed 5 chemo/35 radiations
Sept 2015 Cat Scan all clear
July 2016 G tube, port still in place
Ive had Thyroid "graves disease" and Lupus for many years.
4 kidney stone surgeries past 3 mo with over 100 stones still there !

*** Update... Jo passed away 12/20/17 ... RIP Jo ***