There certainly doesn't seem to be one simple or consistent answer. Today I spoke with the HBO tech in the Wound Care Center at one local hospital. He has been in this group since at least 2008, and I had my last round of HBOT at this facility in 2013.

He discussed my case with the doctor who heads the department, and this doctor said I would only need 10 dives after I have the procedure done. Since I already had at least 20 dives, this causes a permanent change and I would not need to repeat the 20 dives before the procedure. I will be going for a consult with this doctor next week, and I asked Bob (the tech) if he and the doctor could gather some information on this topic that I could take and share.

I also stopped by the oral surgeons office to pick up the referral. This doctor reiterated his position that I should have the 20/10 protocol as recommended by the radiation oncology department where I had my RT in 2006. The tooth that I am having a problem with was in the radiation field, but it was at the edge of the field and I don't believe it received as much as some other parts of my jaw. I would rather err on the side of caution and do the 20/10 HBOT rather than be faced with ORN.

Thanks Paul and Christine! I'm anxious to learn what Dr. Marx has to say on this topic. If there are studies or recommendations and guidelines perhaps these can be added to OCF main pages.

Susan

SCC R-Lateral tongue, T1N0M0
Age 47 at Dx, non-smoker, casual drinker, HPV-
Surgery: June 2005
RT: Feb-Apr 2006
HBOT: 45 in 2008; 30 in 2013; 30 in 2022 -> Total 105!
Recurrence/Surgeries: Jan & Apr 2010
Biopsy 2/2011: Moderate dysplasia
Surgery 4/2011: Mild dysplasia
Dental issues: 2013-2022 (ORN)