The decision to get a tube or try to tough it out is a difficult one to decide. Often patients feel like everything is out of their control and when they actually have a choice their first reaction is NO!. Some patients have issues right away while others are luckier and sail right thru their treatments without many side effects. Some patients will prepare themselves with every tool they can and get the feeding tube so they are ready if they need it. Other patients feel they can tough it out no matter what and will drink their calories if it comes down to it.

Ive had a feeding tube and found it to be helpful during some very difficult days. I am one who thinks its better to have one and not need it than to get part way thru and struggle so much where they feel horrible and they have to wait another week or more to get their tube placed. Others have done it without the tube but ended up getting a more temporary nasal tube. This type can be inserted in a few seconds right in the doctors office and removed just as easily.

At least half the patients who go thru rads w/ chemo will struggle by week 4. Rads accumulates so as time goes on the rads build up and the patient feels worse and worse if they are not taking in enough. Even when the radiation treatments stop that doesnt mean the worst is over, the rads keep right on working. Starting now, you should take in at least 2500 calories and 48-64 oz of water every single day. This needs to continue until at least the first year after rads ends. If you are the kind of person who can motivate yourself and push yourself to eat and drink no matter what then you may be ok without a tube. During rads, many of us have had very painful mouth sores, a sore throat and lose our sense of taste and ability to swallow making eating next to impossible.

I suggest reading posts about the feeding tube decision before you make your decision. Pay attention to those who seem to go thru it without many side effects, the common link is they usually do not have chemo and are the ones who do the best with their intake. Use the search function up towards the top right of any page.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma