Hi, Ange

I have been through that op and for the similar reasons. It's very big surgery and the trache is highly irritating but it's also a successful procedure. The forearm flap works quite well because it is moved by the remaining tongue. Over time it comes to resemble normal oral tissue more and more. When I had a recurrence, it was not on my tongue but in my cheek. That's because I'm one of a small percentage who get new primaries.

Speech should be okay although you might have a slight change of accent. Eating will be slightly less difficult but you should have no major problems. It just takes time for everything to heal and the swelling to go down.

Best wishes.

1996, ovarian cancer surgery + cisplatin and taxol.
September, 2007, SCC of left lateral tongue. Excision.
October, 2009 recurrence in scar tissue, T1NOMO. Free flap surgery from left wrist - neck dissection. 63 year old New Zealander. No chemo, no RT.
February, 2014. New primary in left buccal mucosa. Marginal mandibulectomy, neck dissection, right arm free forearm flap. T1N0M0 but third occurrence and some areas of concern: RT started 8 April and finished 19 May.