Shortly after completing my radiation treatments I was advised to be seen by a dentist every 3 months for cleaning. I had been advised that any surgery exposing the bones in my jaw could result in osteonecrosis, even minor procedures like scaling of my teeth. The dentist prescribed Clindamycin starting several days prior, and continuing for 1 week after. I still got infections; both bacterial and fungal repeatedly.

Unfortunately within 2 years what was left of my teeth started breaking apart. At 5 years my teeth were so fragile I had to have them all totally removed. Prior to the extraction for 4 weeks I received Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy. Then for 2 more weeks after the extraction. I was given high doses of Clindamycin and an anti microbial rinse (can't remember the name) throughout the process. Fortunately I did not develop osteonecrosis and my gums healed totally.

Since the extraction I still get both bacterial and fungal infections in my gums, mouth, tongue, throat, and nasal cavity; however perhaps only once or twice a year. They are cleared relatively easily. Although I lost my teeth, I am grateful to not be constantly burdened by the pain I had been suffering with.

I know I've probably given you more info than you requested, and it all sounds horrible but, if I got through it, anyone can. Good luck to you, I will pray you won't have to go through the same ordeal.

Age 59
DX SCC T3N1M0 R BOT 10/04 135lbs
TX Hemi-Gloss 11/04
MET Neck 12/04
TX 01/05 G-Tube,PortCath,6wks chem+6wks chem& IMRT,Max dose
06/05 RND,42 nodes 1 bad,All clear 120lbs
DX femoral hernia 09/09,repair 10/09 94lbs
HBO 11-12/10
11/10 All teeth out,05/11 dentures
DX hypothyroid,04/13
DX inguinal hernia,repair,04/15 127lbs
DX cachexia (CACS),03/16 98lbs