Welcome and sorry your here. First of all, Do you know if your cancer is HVP related or not. They should be able to tell you. Most Tonsil or base of tongue cancers are HPV involved.

I had Cisplatin, others Carboplatin or Erbitux. I don't think it has been statistically proven yet, but My RO did not favor Erbitux with HPV related cancers. His opinion was Cisplatin first, Carboplatin as fall back. All of theses have side effects but I do not believe anyone could tell you which side effects you will have and how bad they will be. Cisplatin may cause hearing loss. I think it is about 20% of the time. Luckily I was in the 80% and I did not have this problem.

I am no doctor, but "gold standard" is a treatment that has proven to very effective for HPV related cancers. Carbo and Erbitux have been trialed against Cisplatin. Carbo yielded similar results. I am not sure if the Erbitux study is done or what the results have been. You might get some strong opinions either way.

Cisplatin is rough, especially the 3 big bad methods. That what I was given. However I was in pretty rough shape and had to cancel the 3rd dose, which is common. Weekly doses is an option you and your docs should consider.

Over the past 3 year of being on the board. Cis has been the most popular but carbo is gaining ground. I believe carbo has less side effects.

Good luck with the treatment. It is brutal, but doable. Post often and ask questions.

Hockey Dad
43, No smoke, Small BOT HPV+16
8/30/12 Biopsy found SCC in Lymph node (removed)
9/19 DX 4a T1N2aM0
10/1 TX 2x Cisplatin 35 IMRT 70 gry (Done 11/15)
PEG tube in 11/7. Out 1/4, Back at work 2/4/13
PET 2/13 Clear, 10/16 all Scopes Clear, 4/14 Chest X-ray Clear, 5/14 Abdominal ultrasound Clear, 8 yrs clean!!!