Hey Jane, sorry you have to be here but you have found a great place to help you through this.

To echo Cheryl, I hope you are being seen at a CCC (Comprehensive Cancer Center). I notice you didn't mention seeing a radiation oncologist. If you are being followed at a CCC, your case ought to be discussed at a tumor board by a variety of doctors in many disciplines, including radiation oncology. I would ask about this and also ask why nobody has recommended that you see a RO (radiation oncologist)

As many have said on this site, having your case presented at a CCC tumor board is very important. Second opinions are also extremely important. If you haven't received a second opinion from another ENT, please do so. If your ENT wasn't at a CCC, please go to one at a CCC.

I have been fortunate enough to be seen at a CCC, have my case presented to tumor boards and received second opinions. In my case, base of tongue (BOT) cancer, it was recommended not to do surgery and to do chemo and radiation instead. Perhaps a CCC tumor board will recommend something other than surgery for you too. Or they may concur with surgery, but in any case, it's best to get that opinion. Best wishes and good luck to you.

Andrew
4x survivor
1998 - SCC of larynx
...laryngectomy, tracheotomy, radiation, caries, HBO, teeth extr, TEP
2002 - lung cancer, wedge resection
2014 - SCC of BOT, pharynx, oropharynx, HPV-, stage IV, T2N0MX, invasive, poorly differentiated
...chemo (carboplatin, taxol), dc'd due to neuropathy
2015 - SCC of palate
...Feb-April IMRT (46 x 70 Gy)
...Jan 2015 - May 2016 cetuximab 500 mg q week x 55wks
2016 - metastases to mediastinum, lungs, spleen, pancreas
...Aug-? pembrolizumab q 3 wks