Traci, there are so many things to deal with when being a caregiver. Of course you want your mother to have the healthiest diet as possible. right now its all about the calories. Every single day she needs at the very minimum 2500 calories and 48-64 oz of water. If she can get more like 3500 calories and 64+ oz of water thats even better and can only help her to feel as good as possible while going thru these difficult radiation weeks.

Usually around week 4 or 5 is when most patients begin to struggle. This is another reason to focus on her intake as much as possible. You have control over what she takes in so make sure she makes the numbers I mentioned above.

Ive seen some patients consume a organic balanced liquid diet but not until several months after finishing rads. Its alot to handle and you never quite know if all her daily nutrients are being met or even if a food she is getting could interfere with the treatments. Plus as you mentioned there are all kinds of cautions about using the peg tube for homemade foods. Even when blending it thoroughly and flushing, there could be some issues with the tube breaking down. The PEG tube is designed to work with the liquid nutrition you can get either over the counter or by prescription from the doc. A medical supply company should be delivering the formula along with the other supplies every month.

To be honest, Ive seen thousands of patients pass thru this board and only a small handful have attempted what you asked about. In my opinion, I would wait until she has finished her treatments for at least a good 6 weeks before attempting the natural tube fed diet. That is unless you are working with a nutritionist or other medical professional who can guide you with maintaining enough calories and a balanced diet that wouldnt damage the feeding tube.

Please keep us posted on how this works out for you and your mother. best wishes with everything.

PS... Being a caregiver is a tough job! Dont forget to make some time just for you too.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma