chefron
Member # 2289

posted August 08, 2005 11:03 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good morning, everyone. I am brand new at this, so please bear with me. I am a 54 year old male, who was diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma of the floor of the mouth and mandible (lower Jaw) last July. I had surgery replacing my infected areas with a free flap (the fibula and surrounding muscles from my left leg were used to make a new jaw bone and floor of the mouth). I went through extensive radiation therapy (6,900 rads) for six weeks, twice a day, every day. I was told I would be able to have dental implants in my new jaw within a year or shortly thereafter. Now they are saying my radiation levels were too high, and they may have to wait for another YEAR OR SO. Has this happened to anyone else? I am so frustrated, I could scream.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posts: 3 | From: Southern California | Registered: Aug 2005 | IP: Logged

Moved here by mark

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.