Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere. My husband is having the usual terrible time with build up of phlegm. He is up every hour around the clock trying to clear his throat (making that terrible sound that men make in the morning that I can't reproduce in writing!). He is drinking water around the clock to try to address the phlegm. The problem is that he has been intermittently throwing up when he tries to clear his throat. Last night he had just finished 5 cartons of feed through the tube via the pump, got up to clear his throat, and threw it all up. He is not getting enough calories a day as it is so this is a worry.

My questions are: how have people successfully dealt with the phlegm without throwing up, and, is there a brand of tube feed that does not cause a lot of phlegm? We read online that soy, which is the basis for the brand he has (Fibersource HN) can cause a lot of phlegm.

We have a call in to the dietician but I really value the wisdom and experience of this group since everyone has been through this. Thank you very much!!

Randi

Spouse/caregiver to my husband:
Age 48 @ diagnosis
HPV+ SCC Stage IV diagnosed 1/14
Primary site unknown
Met to neck lymph node; 2" tumor resected 2/13/14
Completed 7 Cisplatin weekly sessions and 35 daily IMRT sessions 5/6/14
PET scan clear 11/14
CT clear 10/15
CT clear 10/16