Greetings! I learned of this site from SPOHNC and am so happy you are here. I was diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma of the right tonsil on New Year's Eve. The cancer had replaced the entire tonsillar region. On January 20 I had, to quote the operative report, a "composite resection of right oropharynx and base of tongue" and "modified radical neck dissection." Two of 42 lymph nodes were cancerous. I also had a "microvascular free flap reconstruction" where tissue and artery from my left forearm were placed at the tonsil region. After a re-do on January 21 the flap is healing nicely. For those of you not familiar with this surgery, I also had a "mandibulotomy" in which my lower jaw was split open in order to access the tonsil region and I now have a "Lorenz titanium bar" holding my mandible in place! I have a PEG tube and will continue with the PEG through my radiation therapy which I hope to begin by March 7. Radiation will be to both sides of my neck from ear to clavicle.

I am waiting for results of a PET scan and will meet a Medical Oncologist tomorrow Feb. 22 to talk about chemotherapy.

I'm recovering well from my surgery but still have a pocket of drainage at my neck that my Head & Neck Surgeon drains three times a week. Have any readers who are familiar with this surgery had a similar experience? Dr. is not sure why he can't seem to easily access the "right pocket."

I look forward to participating in the forum. Thank you and blessings to you all.

Be well. Zenda
12/04 SCC Tonsil, Stage IV T3N2BM0. Mod RND, resect right oropharynx, free-flap, resect right tongue base. Erbitux,Docetaxel,RT X 33. 6/08 Mets lung, hilar lymph node:Carboplatin, Docetaxel. 2010 2nd clinical trial:lung clear, node stable. ORN,trismus,dysphagia. 8-10/2012 cryoablation,brachytherapy,cyberknife to lymph node. 12/12 NED. 6/13 Mets RLL lung: 8/13 cyberknife. 11/13 NED.