I am now 8 months post surgery and 6 months post chemo and radiation. After 20 professional manual lymphatic messages teamed with doing myself between treatments as well as after and the passage of time, my tongue is almost back to normal but still a bit of swelling to get rid of. As stared by others the combination of the surgery which "shocked" your tongue teamed with lymph nodes being removed leaving remaining nodes to "redirect" causes a head, neck and tongue swellong. It is also rather slower recovery than any of us would like. Although I am now battling a couple of remaining canker sores from the effects of radiation and dry mouth, it is so much better than even two months ago. Hang in there. It does get better.

BrendaN. 58. Dx2/2/12 Non-smoker Mod drinker Avid exercise- Maui 1/2 marathon1/22/12- Not HPV. Prob cause- 35 yr amalgams-.2/8/2012 SCC, partial glossectomy (right side) SG IVa, 29 nodes, one w/cancer Erbitux 2/29/12 1/week-7 weeks. RAD 3/7/12 M-F for 6wks-clr PET 7/12-2ndclear CT 10/25/12