My father has been diagnosed with stage 4A throat cancer and is currently in his 6th week of combined radiation (35 sessions, 5 times per week) and chemo (3 sessions, every 2 weeks.

The treatment has been very hard on him, in particular, the second chemo session. He is constantly nauseous, can not eat (sustaining himself on ensure type drinks alone), lost his voice, pain in his throat and sores developing.

His next chemo session is scheduled for next Monday and he doesnt think he can handle it. My question is:

1) I know there is no way of knowing for sure, but anyone have any insight into the necessity of doing the third chemo session and if it has proven to have significant benefit??

2) Is it absolutely necessary to strictly follow the every two weeks timeline? If my father has to do it, he would prefer to do it in the very last week after all his radiation sessions are finished with, this would be the the third week, a week off schedule. The doctor is insisting he stick to the schedule and can not delay.

Any thoughts, insights or personal experiences would be invaluable. Thank you, Audrey