I have endured three rounds of radiation, the last two within six months of each other. It can be done.

The last time around I tried desperately to find a surgical solution, no luck. Three of the four CCC's I saw said I was terminal and could not receive additional radiation or surgery. In this game you take what you can get and I took additional radiation as it was the only option on the table.

The point is that you get as many opinions as you can before making your decision regarding future treatment. By the way, as others here have said, having a PET light up after recent radiation treatments is not unusual and can be the healing process in action.

Hopefully the biopsy will come up negative. I have all kinds of painful areas that give me trouble day to day, but my prior experience tells me to wait before panicking as radiation treatments take a long time to heal and painful areas are par for the course many months out from treatment.

You are doing the right thing by being proactive and having the doctors keep a close eye on this issue, so keep up the vigilance and good luck with the biopsy.

Kelly
Male
48, SCC (Soft Palet) Rt.,
Stage 1, T3n0m0,
Dx, 8-09, Start IMRT 35 9-2-09 end 10-21-09
04-20-10 NED
8-11 recurrence, node rt. neck N2b
10-11 33 IMRT w/chemo wkly
3-12-12 PET - residual cancer
4-12 5 treatments with Cyberknife & Erbitux
6-19-12 Pet scan CLEAR
12-3-12 PET - CLEAR