I am 10 months after very 'superficial' CO2 laser surgery as my ENT surgeon puts and unfortunately I too have numbness, which he states I should not have as "no nerves were involved". I also nerve pain to the tip of my tongue. I take medication for the nerve pain. I too have a mild speech impediment that stifles me from talking too much for too long and definitely if I am tired when it gets waaaaay worse.

So it seems that tongue numbness has its own life, for some it improves, goes away and others it becomes the new norm. I hope for us both that we see/feel a marked improvement...in the meantime, if you can avoid it...stop playing with the area.

I too find myself playing, chewing, thrusting my tongue out as it still feels swollen, awkward and abnormal. Thing is the chewing motion can be considered "irritating" the tongue and oral surgeons suggested that might have been the cause (of my lychen planus)in the first place as it was a habit I had as a shy and kid. Then stopped in adolesence and have picked it up again since my surgeries. Its almost a OCD thing with me now, dont let it become that for you. :P

Fingers crossed that your numbness subsides quickly smile

Tracy Dx @ age 47
Single No dependants
NS/Social ETOH
Clinical Study (early detection)
Dx July/09 Mod. Dysplasia (lichen planus)
Dx Sept/11 TisN0M0 SSC Lt Tongue
Sx Oct/11 CO2 Laser Glossectomy
Sx Mar/12 Release of tongue anchoring (Skin graft)
Lingual Nerve Damage