http://abcnews.go.com/Health/HPV-vaccine-prevent-cancer-recurrence/story?id=16013281#.T4hQOb_hc3J

"The human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine has been touted as a way to prevent cervical cancer and genital warts, but a new study suggests the vaccine may also prevent women diagnosed with precancers from developing recurrences.

Researchers randomly assigned more than 1,350 women diagnosed with genital warts or certain precancerous conditions to receive either three injections of the HPV vaccine or a placebo. The women were followed for about four years.

Women who received the vaccine had 46.2 percent lower risk of developing another HPV-related disease after treatment for their genital warts or their precancerous condition."

First, the study subjects did not actually have cancer, they had precancerous conditions. Without treatment, 30-50% of dysplasia progress to cervical cancer. The study points to 46.2% decrease in recurrence... of further HPV precancerous growths, not cancer (right?). As HPV-related oral cancer survivors, progression to cancer has already been established in us. Second, say a new study focuses on cervical cancer survivors, HPV SCC cervical cancer does not necessarily behave the same as HPV SCC oral cancer.
That said, the current study does present scientific validation that something is happening to the virus in those women who receive the vaccine. And it seems from a few forums I visit, there are some H&N survivors who have decided to get it.

My doctor is willing to give it to me but it is not covered in any way where I live. Cost is $550. Fortunately, I can afford it. Clinical benefit unknown.

Thoughts? Would you consider it?

FNAB Dx SCC left lymph Sept2/11 (age 43), left tonsillectomy Sept21/11 confirmed primary. T1N2bM0. 35 IMRT both sides Oct17-Dec12/11. Cisplatin week 1,4,7. Non-smoker, non-drinker, p16+.