Hello Trishga. Is your sister having to do the tube feedings herself while your Mom is in the longterm care hospital? Is your Mom also getting medication through the feeding tube? An important part of care of a feeding tube is frequent and adequate flushing after it has been used and I would think adding some water between perhaps each 2 cans of formula. If it is being used for medications they must be well crushed and the tube flushed by at least 3oz. of water folloging administration of the medication. You may be able to clear the tube with gentle plunging with a 2oz. syringe (no smaller should be used or could damage the tube)containing warm water. If that fails try plunging with pineapple juice and even letting the syringe of juice stay connected to the tube following plunging if it does not clear right away. Sometimes the acidity of the juice will dissolve the blockage. Hope that helps. Goodluck. I have had much experience dealing with feeding tubes during my nursing career and also as a caregiver when my hubby was ill.

Caregiver to husband Dx. Stage 4 SCC of gingiva with 3 nodes pos. Partial mandiblectomy with bone graft from iliac crest Dec. 2006. IMRT x30, Cisplatin x3. Completed Tx. March 15, 2007. Osteonecrosis & removal of graft & plate Oct. 2007. Recurrence of SCC Dec. 2007. Deceased Jan. 17, 2008.