Hello, thanks for visiting my link. My name is Su and I am in the UK and my dear mother has recently been diagnosed as having cancer of the upper jaw. She only knew she had it when her dentist said the painless red mark on her upper gum was not healing and it was diagnosed soon after as cancer.

It had aparently got into the jaw, however not into the lymph glands (thank goodness) She was rushed into surgery and has had the top right upper jaw and half of the roof of her mouth removed and is now at home recovering. She is at the stage where she is awaiting to see if they got out all the cancer or whether she will have to have radio therapy. (which she is dreading)

It was a shock to the whole family. Even though she is 66 years old it was so unexpected. She is a fit, healthy 66 year old and looked like she is only 50! she has pretty blonde hair, put up in a pony tail and soft blue eyes, so its sad to see my mother have scars across her face and skull. (but she still looks lovely in my eyes!)

Tomorrow she is having the false plate that's screwed into the roof of her mouth removed and will be fitted with a bunge type denture.

My mother has coped remarkably well with the surgery and was home with a week and she is healing well, although eating is not easy and she has to eat pulped food and she does have liquid coming down her nose when she eats, which she is told is ok and not to fret, as its to do with not having a good fitting bunge in yet. This is iratating, but she is dealing with it. She can talk ok, but on the 'S's' she lisps a little.

The worst side effect so far, is when she smiles, only one side of her face reacts and she looks a little like she has had a stroke. (we are hoping in time, when the scars heal, this may get better)

She is remarkably strong and positive and she is eating good healthy foods, thinking this will aid with her healing. I have been with her throughout and tried to find as much info i can to help her from my computer. (Its amazing how much negative info one can find, we know the survival statistics, but what we are looking for is the positive stories!)

One thing that we havent found is other people who have experienced something similar. It seems many people have cancer in the tongue, lower jaw and tonsils, but as yet we havent found anyone to talk to who has had the upper jaw taken out.

If anyone reads this and would be kind enough to just tell us your stories, we would very much apreciate it and I will print them out and take them to my mother and I send you many thanks on her behalf in advance.

We are hoping there are a few success stories out there??

Things that my mother would like to share thoughts about are things, like side effects, how you cope with the bunge on a day to day basis,did you get the movement in your face back, have you any tips, advise, or anything to be honest, it all helps us to deal with the situation.

I wish everyone who reads this and who has cancer our genuine thoughts and care. Our family is strong, but this shock has hit us all hard, we so feel for mum, never a nicer person would you wish to meet, it just doesnt seem fair.

If you wish to e mail us personally, feel free to do so. thanks Su (and her mum Janet)