Just have to share my excitement that Emmett is finally eating food 3 times a day since his surgery 10/4/10. His Drs. & therapists have been working with him to get him to try things to no avail. I have tried pulverizing soups, meals etc. and everything tasted gritty, gagged him and was turned down. Then our friend suggested going to basics and trying baby food! It worked! It does not have a gritty texture and he is happy with the flavors. He is eating cereal, meat, veg and fruits just like anyone else each meal adding his cans after. He already has commented that it is going down easier than he thought and his swallow is stronger just after a few days so I think we have crossed the hurdle and he will be expanding his choices rapidly having the confidence he can handle it. This is huge and I am very proud of him since I know the peg is easier. It takes time and a real effort to get his food down. Kudos to our friend who suggested something so simple. I searched and didn't find a post about baby food so I thought I would share, maybe it will work for others also struggling with trying to eat again. We are moving on!

CG 2 Emmett,7/09 DX SCC rt tongue. T2N1M0, 1 node, marg neg.4/10 PET/CT clear, 9/10 C back. 10/10 Rad hemi, 2 tmrs mod diff. resec flr of mth. Flap 4 nodes/w/ext cap. 11/10 Peg, CX3 HD, 30 rad. 1/31 & 3/21 6/11/11 - PET/CT "activity" 9/11-all Clear. 12/11 peg out. 2/15 still all clear! 9/14 Prostate cancer treated with pencil beam proton therapy, best radiation experience. Keep it in mind as a treatment option for all tumors that can be seen including head and neck.