Hi: I had squamous cell on the left side of my tongue, stage one. After surgery it was decided that I should have radiation as the lab reported that the cells were very close to the margin of the removed tumor. Radiation was also done to the lymp nodes. I was unable to taste or eat for quite a while and lost about 60 lbs. I was fortunate through in that I did not miss a day of work during the weeks of radiation. I never smoked but was a social beer drinker. It has been about two years since the surgery and I have had a few scares with a sore on my tongue but so far I am fine. I have very dry mounth but the biotine gum, toothpaste and mouthwash help. My teeth are doing fine so far but I make regular trips to the dentist and use a special flouride toothpaste daily. I see the Dr. that did the surgery on a regular basis and he looks down my throat with a tube often, I have also had one chest x ray done. The oncologist that my managed care sent me to told me that I did not need to see him as I was not having chemo. I have not had a oncologist for two years, I think I should be seeing one. I cannot wear lipstick because of my dry mouth ( any suggestions ). I would like to hear from others who have had similiar experiences and find out how you are following up. The 50% survival rate I read about is scary. Please let me hear from you. Consue

consue