Dont think of this as a diet. Thats a huge misconception! Losing 30 pounds in a short amount of time could mean big problems for you. It can mean malnutrition and possibly dehydration too. Together these things add up to mean while you are going thru treatments you will feel like crap. Even if you are over weight, the doctors do not want you to lose anything.

This is coming from a patient who lost 65 pounds with having a feeding tube. I was hospitalized several times for dehydration and malnutrition. I felt so bad I thought I was dying.

Hope you pay attention to this and dont let it happen to you. I used to warn another member here too and they didnt take it seriously enough. Well, they ended up spending a few weeks in the hospital.

You must get a minimum of 2500 calories and 48 oz water every single day. More is even better. Your body will burn thru calories at a record pace while going thru treatments and recovery. Many days after treatments ended I would take in over 5000 calories per day drinking high calorie shakes and doing the tube feedings. I never gained an ounce. Ive still kept the 65 pounds off and I began the cancer batter almost 4 years ago.

Right now and for as long as you possibly can eat as much as you are able to. Drink lots of water. Especially with having chemo, it flushes out the poison from your body. You may think that you dont do very well with eating right now, it will unfortunately become even harder to do. Keep your protein intake high to help with your healing. Just keep eating and drinking to keep those swallowing muscles active. You do not want to lose that ability. Also stretch open your mouth as wide as possible and hold it for a few seconds, repeat this a few times per day. This will prevent trismus which is another big problem you do not want to have.

Make sure you discuss all of this with your doctor before doing any of it.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma