I had my most recent follow up appointment today with the surgical oncologist/ENT, who indicated that there is no evidence of disease and that everything looks great. The medical oncologist scheduled a PET/CT for tomorrow, which should serve as a baseline. With my radiation fibrosis in the neck, I am sure the PET will come back with some "interesting" results.

At the end of my appointment, the Dr. asked if I would mind talking to a new patient in the next room, who has a similar diagnosis to mine, but is just starting the whole process and was very scared. Of course I agreed.

Let me tell you -- walking into that room was one of the most powerful things that I have ever experienced. Seeing the look on his face, I went back immediately to how I felt when I got the diagnosis. Similarly, the wife's pained expression was way too familiar. We talked for about 20 minutes, going over my experiences with treatment, eating, side effects, etc. I don't know if I helped much, but they seemed better at the end.

It really made me appreciate the weekend I had -- Saturday visiting our son at college, watching him perform in the marching band, etc., and Sunday playing in our club's closing golf tournament under perfect weather (a rarity in Ohio). It wasn't very long ago that I was seriously doubting whether I would ever do either of those things again.

Just wanted to share my experience and bring folks up to date. You are all the best!!

Jeff
SCC Right BOT Dx 3/28/2007
T2N2a M0G1,Stage IVa
Bilateral Neck Dissection 4/11/2007
39 x IMRT, 8 x Cisplatin Ended 7/11/07
Complete response to treatment so far!!