positive,

You are both close to the end, we call it walking out of the tunnel. Usually the 2 to 3 weeks POST Tx are the worst so just be prepared. If you are talking about the thick mucous he is producing and is choking him, that is also very common and it will last a few weeks and then give rise to total dry mouth. Like everything else we all can have different levels of reactions to the same Tx, some barley anything and some horrible. I use to carry a Styrofoam cup in my pocket and spit in it constantly. At night it was the worst because I would wake up choking and could barely make it to the bathroom and then it would trigger a nausea reaction.

You also should look into Carnation Instant Breakfast VHC which has a whopping 560 calories in the same size can as Boost, etc. You have to either order it online, like Amazon, or through a pharmacy like Walgreens or CVS. You don't need a prescrip and it runs appx $35 a case in yummy vanilla. With that many cals in one can it cuts his swallowing down by a third which with everything he is dealing with, that's a good thing.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.