I haven't posted in a while. This whole treatment regimine is awful at best. My husband continues to have a very good attitude and is 100% positive that he will beat this thing. He finished up his chemo, Taxol, Cisplatin and IFEX - 3 days worth every three weeks for a total of 18 hours of "drip" each treatment week. He tolerated pretty well, except for the last treatement and we were very glad that the docs said he did not need to do round 4.

Docs ordered Erbitux and he had his first drip - a double dose on April 2. We ended up in the emergency room at midnight that night - if a side effect was listed - he had them all. The worst is the nagging headache that still persists. Suffuce to say - no more Erbitux but the acne side effect is also lingering and quite frustrating for him.

He is being blasted on both sides of his neck and base of tongue. He had a sore throat by day three last week and they made a couple of adjustments and his throat isn't quite as sore - although we know its coming soon. The biggest issue is the development of tongue sores already. He says it feels like canker sores - he started a honey regimine as directed by his doc (although he's been doing it since starting chemo). I found a Canadian study on the benefits of Manuka honey a while back. I read something just recently, and found a couple of comments here about using hydrogen peroxide - swishing a tablesppon around for 5-10 minutes once a day...has anyone tried this? - or have any other suggestions. Thanks for any advice or insight.

Lisaj, caregiver to Ken age 45 at DX, non smoker, social drinker, athlete
Stage IV SCC BOT, bilateral lymph involvement
DX 01/08/2010
Taxol, Cisplatin, IFEX
Treatment completed 6/2010 - all clear