My father in law has gained a LOT of weight due to thyroid problems and we are now a year out from him completing his cancer treatments.

He is now starting thyroid medication under the care of an endocronologist. I sense he is feeling extremely tired and depressed. I am assuring him he will feel much better when his thyroid is straightened out with my fingers crossed.

But now he is being told he needs cataract surgery. His vision quality has drastically worsened just recently. After some reading I see that systemic diseases like hypothyroidism can cause cataracts and I think is most likely the cause of his cataracts.

I have tri8ed to see if there are any special precautions to be taken with regards to the srugery but can find none.

Because of Papa's tendency to be stoic and not complaihn, I am worried that perhaps his hypothyroidism went untreated for much longer than it should have. I debate whether or not he needs to be lectured about being too stoic to avoid any future consequences like this from happening again as a result.

Any insights or observations on any of the above?

Thanks,
Marma

FIL completed treatment 10/08. CG to father in Law in india who had SCC oral tongue T2N2M0. FIL underwent surgery, neck dissection, IMRT, and erbitux without losing weight or getting nauseated. Completed October 2008. SO far so good.