When I had radiation for breast cancer, the RO nurse recommended a cream to be used 2x daily on the front of my upper torso, over the sholders around to the back. (Not to be used less than 4 hours before radiation). I used it as she said and had almost no sunburn effects from the radiation other than darkening of some warts and a mild itching. There was some redness which eventually faded. The surgeon who did the breast cancer also told me to use it after the free flap. I gave a tube to the ENT Oncologist and to the plastic surgeon who now recommends it to his patients. I used it on my face, neck and leg after the free flap reconstruction and am very pleased that I had little redness. After that surgery I also tendended to get very dry skin over my foot from edema and it helped there as well. My husband uses it on his elbows because they tend to get rough.

The cream is Skin Repair Cream by Medline. (medline.com 1-800-medline)

Hope this helps
Malka

SCC stage II Partial mandibulectomy w. neck dissection- July 2005. Renal cancer w. partial nephrectomy-Jan 2004. Breast cancer discovered in routine mammogram. Successful lumpectomy, sentinal nodes clear, RT only-2008 Reconstruction of mandible w fibula free flap-Jan 09. TORS removal of begnin pappiloma from esophagus-2010. Masectomy,rt breast 2013.
Support OCF