Hi Nancy:

I was diagnosed with tonsil cancer in November 2007. The cancer was discovered only after I insisted my tonsils be removed. Some time in October 2007, we had a blood pressure machine put in the breakrooms of where I worked. I was checking my blood pressure and kept getting a high pulse rate, which I had had before; one of my coworkers told me that I could check my pulse by placing a finger on each side of my throat. When I did that, I felt a swollen place, only about 3" long, under my right cheek on my neck. It wasn't hard, and had never hurt. I would have never noticed it because it wasn't even visible in the mirror. Being concerned, I went to my family doctor who said I had a sinus infection and that was what the swelling was caused from. He gave me something for the infection and told me everything was okay. After another two weeks, I still could feel the swollen place although it hadn't gotten any larger. I called the doctor and his nurse proceeded to tell me that I should just forget about it; she had the same thing all the time and to quit worrying. After another several weeks, I decided to go to an ENT doctor on my own. He had a scan done on my throat and a needle biopsy was performed on the spot that was swollen. The scan was inconclusive as to whether it was something or nothing; the needle biopsy was NEGATIVE. But, I still just didn't feel right. I'm not sure why, but I decided to get a second opinion from another ENT. He couldn't tell either, but said since my tonsils were red on that side and a little swollen, he'd recommend taking them out. I did, and sure enough, there was squamous cell cancer underneath. I believe it was also in a gland or lobe. Nevertheless, I ended up with 7 weeks of radiation, with one day each week of chemotherapy. That was quite a trip - it'll be two years in November, and thank GOD, so far all my follow-up CAT and PET scans have been clear. I do, however, suffer from many of the side effects from radiation. That is just something you have to accept. It's better than the alternative frown
Julieann

Julieann
Nov 2007 SCC on right tonsil following tonsillectomy. Was smoker, QUIT. (Stage IV T2 N2b) 7 weeks radiation one day/wk chemo (carboplatin and 5-FU). Allergic to Taxol; PEG in, lost 30 lbs. TX completed January 2008. PEG out mid- 2008. PET/CT 1/17/2011;2/3/12 NEGATIVE for cancer smile