Hi Chris - I can't comment on any chemo effects as I was thankfully spared that treatment - although I did lose half the hair on the back of my head thanks to the rads.

During RT and for several weeks afterward I found viscous lidocaine to be the only thing that would numb my mouth sores enough to allow me to gag anything down. I.e. Boost, Ensure, etc, which, amazingly now - 2 months after the end of RT - are still practically the only thing I eat.

I've heard the term Magic Mouthwash before... wondering if posters mean OraMagic? Anyway that's also helpful but not nearly as strong as the lidocaine.

Don't stint on the pain medication! At the height of my treatment I was taking 3 Percocets every 4 hours practically around the clock.

All of Margaret's suggestions are good ones too. I was able to drive myself to treatments daily (35 mins each way, in LA traffic) until the last couple of days... but that was because I was on a Fentanyl patch for pain and didn't trust myself to drive. You might also ask your doc about Fentanyl if he/she hasn't mentioned it.

Courage and optimism: sounds as if you have both in abundance, and that's why you're going to be fine!
David

David 2
SCC of occult origin 1/09 (age 55)| Stage III TXN1M0 | HPV 16+, non-smoker, moderate drinker | Modified radical neck dissection 3/09 | 31 days IMRT finished 6/09 | Hit 14 years all clear in 6/23 | Radiation Fibrosis Syndrome kicked in a few years after treatment and has been progressing since | Prostate cancer diagnosis 10/18